This post is a little self serving. (I need a post and I need to vent make a point.)
It’s not all about you. I know you want your return prepared and/or filed, your question answered, or one of a dozen other things people want at tax time. But you have to remember that you are not the only one wanting something from me. I have a receptionist who will help you as much as she can so please let her. But the bottom line is there are still just 24 hours in the day and I need to eat and sleeps so don’t play games.
- If you are told there are no appointments available for today, there aren’t. Asking to talk to me or have me call you back won’t get you in any faster.
- Leaving a return as a drop off doesn’t give you an “appointment”. I work drop offs as I have time and since I usually have questions, they take longer than waiting a day for an appointment.
- I return calls and e-mails as I can. As I can. Calling back in 15 minutes and harassing my receptionist because I haven’t call you back is not cool.
- Calling and asking how to do something in Turbo Tax is also not cool. I’ve never touched that program and can’t help you. The same for wanting info off last year’s return for the preparer down the street. I gave you a copy of that return. I also don’t want to hear you grip about their price next year. You wouldn’t have paid that price if you had waited a day.
- There are times I am here alone and you will have to wait until I can help you. Please don’t interrupt me with another client thinking you can speed things up. It’s rude.
Every tax preparer is different. Some are swamped now and empty 2 weeks from now. Others really won’t get busy for another week. Some want appointments and others can take walk-ins. Some have lots of staff others are one woman offices. But being pushy and trying to get around the system probably won’t work. I know it won’t in my office. Remember that squeaky wheel saying? No oil for you here.