Hell Yes, I’m busy!
This will be rough. I am doing it while I eat my lunch (a handful of pretzels.)
Let’s make one thing clear – just because the lobby is not stacked with people does not mean that I am not working. I have a stack of returns to finish and another stack I am waiting on a final piece of information or decision so that I can finish the returns. And I have returns still coming in. So I have a few suggestions to make our time together better for both of us.
- I’m by myself this time of the year. I’m answering phones, setting appointments, getting papers signed and tax returns to clients, taking cash, answering questions and everything else that needs to be done.
- If I say “no”, I mean “no”. Thanks for calling to see if I’m available. I don’t want to waste your time making you wait while I work with someone who already had an appointment. What’s the next time you can come by? Telling me that it will only take a minute or how this is the only time you can come in won’t change my schedule.
- If I’m busy with someone, please don’t interrupt us. If I say it will be a long wait, you will have to wait. Have a seat or comeback later.
- If I don’t answer the phone leave a message. Calling back in 10 seconds will not get an answer. I will call when I can.
- I understand that you can’t find the preliminary numbers I gave you weeks ago. But I can’t remember them off the top of my head. I will look them up but you will have to wait on hold while I do that.
- Now that I have your final bit of info or your decision I can finish your return. However, that doesn’t mean you will have it tomorrow. If your return has been sitting more than a day or two, I’ll have to do a full check of the entries to make sure I know everything is correct. That will take more time.
- I know what I can get finished by April 17th. If I can’t get your returns done, I will be honest and I will file an extension for you. Bribes and bullying will not change what I can get done.
- Your appointment is to start/do your taxes. It’s not your time to whine about the government, the IRS or your life in general. Next year come in earlier in the season or wait until after April 17th for that.
- I am not your mother. I have no time to call to remind you that your returns are done or that I’m still waiting on information so I can finish your returns.
Thank-you! Back to work.